We are excited to have a Dentist from Great Expressions come to our Canton MI Child Care and Enrichment Center this month. Dentists that specialize in the treatment for children are also called Pedodontics. They will be teaching the children, dental health care in a fun way!
Teaching your child and practicing proper dental care at a young age will pay off lifelong for their dental health. We have some dental health tips for you and your children to practice at home!
Dental Health Tips for your Child’s Teeth
- Its always good to set an example, taking care of your own teeth and teaching your children how to care for theirs at the same time will send a great message.
- Make brushing fun! Letting your child choose their toothbrush.
- As soon as teeth grow in, decay can start. Babies usually see their front teeth come in around 6 months but some can take up to 12 months or longer. Once your child has teeth come in start brushing them twice a day (morning and night) with a child’s toothbrush to fit their mouth and a pea size amount of fluoride toothpaste. This will remove the plaque which is the main cause of tooth decay.
- Fluoride helps to prevent tooth decay. Use dental products with fluoride like toothpaste and drinking water with fluoride for your children.
- Once two teeth are side by side you can floss your child’s teeth daily removing plaque from between the teeth and gum line before it can become tarter. (Once it turns into tarter it will take a dentist to remove). It’s usually around age 8 that they can floss on their own.
- Your child’s diet is very important to developing strong teeth. Sugars and starches in foods and snacks creates acids on the teeth that attack the enamel and can lead to cavities. It is best to limit snacking between meals.
- Last but not least, take your child in for regular checks up with the dentist!
Practicing these dental health tips for your children at home will reduce the risk of getting cavities and protect their teeth and gums. We look forward on helping your children here at Paradigm Care and Enrichment Center with two great locations in Canton and Waterford MI, contact us for questions about our programs near you.